Museums in San Francisco
San Francisco not only offers amusement but also culture. These are some of the most important museums and art galleries that you will find in the city:
The most important museums in San Francisco
- With the works of artists such as Matisse, Picasso and Dali on display, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art has become the cultural star of the city.
- Located in Lincoln Park, this beautiful building is a replica of a museum by the same name in Paris, and it has works of Rodin, Rembrandt, Monet as well as many other famous artists.
- The Asian Art Museum is in our opinion one of the finest museums in San Francisco. Through its works it explains the culture and religion in different countries of the Asian continent.
- The de Young Museum has a large exhibition of American Art between the 17th and 20th centuries. Of equal importance is its collection of African and Pacific art.
Museums for children and families
- The California Academy of Sciences houses a museum of natural history (with live and stuffed animals), a planetarium, a fascinating aquarium and a tropical ecosystem.
- The Exploratorium is a Science Museum in which you can complete hundreds of interactive activities to learn and enjoy as a family.
More fascinating and unusual museums
- Instructive, fascinating and free, the Cable Car Museum is the right place to find out how the Cable Car works and to see the inward workings of its machinery.
- The Musée Mécanique is a dream come true for a collector of recreational machines and various inventions from the start of the 20th century.
Less recommended museums